Sunday, September 14, 2014

Rom-Com Writing and Directing Workshop

Last August 16, I attended my first ever workshop outside school (I enrolled myself) - Writing and Directing Romantic-Comedy Movies. And guess who are the speakers? None other than Star Cinema Creative Manager and Master Storyteller of love stories - Miss Carmi Raymundo, and the Blockbuster and Master Director of Rom-Com movies - Direk Cathy Garcia-Molina! If you do not know, their team-up was behind the successful movies She's Dating The Gangster, It Takes A Man and A Woman, and One More Chance. Miss Carmi is also the writer behind Starting Over Again. I attended the workshop with my friends Yish and Ady.


Anyway, so how did I actually find out about the workshop, since it's not a school-sponsored one. Well one Sunday afternoon, my friend Flery messaged me on Facebook and sent me a link. This friend of mine knows how hard I wanted to write, and how I love Miss Carmi, Direk Cathy and their movies. I really wanted to join and I am set but there is one big problem - there is a fee and it costs a large amount which I cannot just get in my pocket. I just tried asking help by posting a status on Facebook that I am in dire need of sponsors. I just tried my luck and I am sure that nobody would mind. But then, people started messaging me saying that they are willing to shoulder a certain amount for me to be able to come out with the workshop fee. And in no time, I was able to enroll!

So the workshop had two parts - the writing and the directing. In the writing part, Miss Carmi presented us a powerpoint presentation as to how they conceive a movie and how do they come up with a screenplay with substance. For a wannabe writer like me, I really need this and I learned a lot. Two things that really struck me the most was: 1. Always ask the question why and make sure the questions have answers. In short, everything must have a reason in the movie, most especially when it comes to the characters' actions and decisions, which leads me to the number 2, CHARACTERS really play the most vital part in the story - not the concept, the plot, the locations, the dialogues, but the characters themselves. Your character must have a very rich problem and goal. And their motivations must be clear. Miss Carmi even shared that in the middle of writing the screenplay, you might encounter problems...and most of the time, they have to go back to characterization in order to fix the problem.



We were also asked to watch a certain scene in the movie "My Amnesia Girl" and study its script. It's my first time to actually see a hard copy of a film script (even though it's just one scene) and it made me really happy! (A film script ha - not TV scripts. Hehe.) We were also asked to create our protagonist and think of a situation - "How would you want to meet the love of your life?" And because I so love food, what I answered was "Gusto ko yung tipong wala akong ka-share sa table habang kumakain sa fast food chain and then this someone would join me, nag-iisa rin siya at wala nang makasalo sa pagkain." Haha. Then the character I created was named Cecille Martinez - a budding writer. I based the name from my favorite PHR writer - Martha Cecilia. :)

Before our lunch break, we were divided into groups and we need to write a one-page script of our story. Then after that, Direk Cathy selected a script from the groups. It was a cute scene and all groups were asked to dramatize it in front. It was about a guy and a girl who happened to be reading a book with the same title. The girl could not understand what she was reading and so when she put the book down, the guy was shocked. The girl kept on insisting that the book is not nice while the guy said otherwise. "Ang panget kaya!" "Ang ganda kaya!" "Panget" "Maganda" And their argument would lead to them saying to each other... "Panget mo!" "Ang ganda mo!" And for our group, Ady played the girl...and since I was the only guy in the group, I played the guy. Hahahaha! They told me, "si Direk Cathy lang pala makakapagpalalaki sayo!" Hahaha! And after that, Direk Cathy shared some tips in directing and her experiences as well.

It was funny that during that week, Direk Cathy guested in PBB and there, she was seen as a strict director. Well, she is actually known to be one. But when you get to meet her, she's so kind and approachable. Same as with Miss Carmi. These big people, who have created lots of blockbuster movies - whether they teamed up or they worked separately, are so down-to-earth. They deserve all the praises we have been giving them for the past years.

This is truly one of the best workshops I have attended. And I am looking forward to the next one. Thank you so much for all the things you have taught us Direk Cathy and Miss Carmi. :) Thank you also to those who helped me financially and supported me in this endeavor. I will never forget that. And of course, to Ate Flery! I wouldn't be able to experience this if not for your message!

Anyway, here are my pictures with Direk Cathy and Miss Carmi!

With Direk Cathy Garcia-Molina.
She also directed my favorite movie Four Sisters and A Wedding
and favorite TV show Midnight Phantom. :)
With Miss Carmi Raymundo.
She also wrote the screenplay for Bride For Rent, Won't Last A Day Without You and Forever and A Day.
She also works as Creative Producer for Star Cinema movies. :)

Group picture!

And after the workshop, I am challenged to write and tell better stories in the future as I achieve my dream in becoming a writer...soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment